Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Nursery Art - Baby Shower Gift Idea

I made these music silhouette collage for a baby gift. The mom said she had enough clothes to last her baby girl until she was two, so it was an opportunity to look outside the box and get creative. I have been liking the silhouette art I have seen around the internet and wanted to try it. I liked the idea of having children songs as the background - and I searched the internet for silhouettes that matched each song. I printed them out and went and got laser copies as I modpodged them to wood - and my ink jet copies would have smeared ink. Here is how I made them....

1. I bought 5x7 wood plaques. I painted the edges white. I got my hubby to frame around the middle one with trim.
2. I adhered black card stock that I cut a little bigger than the music sheet with modpodge. I worked out all the bubbles and waited about 20 minutes for the next step. While I waited I inked the music sheet a little with Tim Holtz "Antique Linen" ink.
3. I adhered the laser copy of the silhouette music paper with modpodge. I worked out all the bubbles and waited about 20 minutes for the next step.
4. I applied the top coat of modpodge over the music sheet. I dressed the frame up a little by gluing on some checkered ribbon and a flower in the corner. I put the same ribbon on the outside of the little plaques - but I did not take a picture of it. It helped bring all three pictures together. I modpodged over the whole plaque and frame and ribbon so it adhered better.

All of the songs I picked have a special meaning to me and an uplifting message....


Close up of middle picture. I love this song - but I couldn't find a link for you to listen to it.


Close up of left picture. This song is my favorite child song. The first time I heard it I almost had to leave the room because I cried. A Child's Prayer on You Tube



I can send you pdf files if you would like to make these yourself. Click on the my contact page for my email.  Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up to...
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!UndertheTableandDreaming


lil luna link party button








7 comments:

  1. Those are super cute! I just love silhouettes and I am sure the Mom will treasure them forever. Very sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing!!! I love all of your fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are beautiful! What a meaningful, personal gift...I'm sure they'll be treasured for a long time to come! Saw you over at Lil' Luna and I'm so glad I did!

    Amy
    oneartmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable and such a great idea! I love it. Hopefully I will find the time to make it for my sister-in-law. I hope you will link this up to my Delight Me party over at Doodles & Doilies! (new follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderfully meaningful gift idea! Something every mom and child will treasure. And thank you for such a thorough how-to...with a soundtrack, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet gift! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely beautiful! What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete